ELS PORTS NATURAL PARK
Do you want to enjoy mountain life? Els Ports Natural Park, a massif that surpasses the limits of the Tierras del Ebro region and enters the provinces of Teruel (Aragon) and Castellón (Valencia), is a refuge of a very rich fauna and flora. We may mention especially the presence of the Hispanic Goat, a species that can be easily found if you visit these mountains. If we walk between the Baix Ebre and Terra Alta regions, we find extensive forests of wild pine, beautiful valleys with holm oaks, and also a considerable population of beech trees, which makes up a typical mountain landscape.
The mountain villages, located at the foot of this massif, share many of their traditions, such as the craft of vegetable fibers to make everyday objects, including baskets or kitchen utensils, as in the village of Mas de Barberans or Alfar de Carles. Other picturesque mountain towns to consider are Paüls, Arnes or Horta de Sant Joan, the natural paradise where Picasso found his inspiration.
5 essential corners in the Els Ports Natural Park
Pine forests, trails penetrating into the mountain, streams and magnificent views of the Ebro Delta. `Els Ports de Beseit´ hide truly paradisiacal natural spaces, and we want you not to miss the most representative of them. Take a look at these essentials!
1. Estrets d'Arnes: Perhaps one of the most unique sites that of this massif, the wildest mountains in Southern Catalonia. A stream runs through abrupt walls, between landscapes of pinewoods, thickets and meadows. Hiking and climbing lovers will find the perfect landscape to enjoy their favorite sports.
2. Font Nova: The area of the Font Nova, near Alfara de Carles, is another of the must-sees. The ravine of Vall de l'Infern (Hell´s Valley) and the one of the Coscollosa are still virgin and inhospitable places, where the wild goats walk at their leisure. If you want to see some beautiful sunsets and the whole plain of the Ebro Delta at your feet, from here you will find privileged views.
3. La Vall: Can you imagine an alpine landscape a few kilometers from the coast? As we enter the ravine of la Vall (the valley), we leave the fields of olive trees behind to enjoy the pine and oak forests. Little by little, the ravine gives way to imposing rock walls and the landscape becomes totally alpine.
4. The Caro Summit viewpoint: One of the most spectacular images of Els Ports is to observe the landscape from the new lookout located at Caro Summit. It is accessed through the road that climbs from Roquetes, crossing a completely wooded area. On clear days you can see the river´s mouth, while when the weather changes, you can enjoy a poetic mantle of mist.
5. Faig Pare (Father Beech):Near La Sénia, it is advisable to visit Faig Pare (Father Beech), which has a majestic above the ground root full of capricious forms that make it one of the most beautiful trees of the Els Ports Natural Park. Declared a monumental tree by the DARP on December 3, 1992, it is located within the partial nature reserve of the `Fageda dels Ports´ (Els Ports Beech Trees Forest).